Saturday, December 29, 2007

Benihana

Benihana was the Japanese steakhouse that we went to on Christmas Eve.
We sat with another family--they from Mounds View. All the serving
staff were Hispanic.

Was late to the Y. Definitely gets crowded on Saturday mornings.
Clusterphobic. Nina's--all the tables are full--10:00. I got a great
belly laugh. I walked to the back of the coffeeshop, noting that there
were no empty spots. Back in the corner, another old gray-bread like
myself looked like he was getting up from a table and moving to a
couch. If he was moving to a couch, I'd take the table. If he was
staying at the table, I'd take the couch. Table, couch, table, couch.
Which would you prefer? Which would you prefer? "I'd like the table,"
I said. But before I could step around him, a man and a woman stepped
up and took the table. Just like losing a parking spot in a busy
parking lot. Interesting to me that this whole pre-table thing went
on, that they were oblivious. Right spot, right time. Of course now
they have the right to bequeath it to their descendants. That's kind
of it. Worth a good laugh. Metaphorical of greater existence. Of
course, for me everything is metaphorical.


--
David
www.schons.net

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter