Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Precipice

I went to the Wednesday evening Quaker meeting. There were eleven
there, me included. A couple of people were probably younger. The
average age was in the fifties, if not the sixties. First time for me.
It is good, mostly silent, but harsh in the grinding conflict with
family life.

I was on the verge today. Now that I think about it, I am often on the
verge of something or other. Today the precipice was posting for
internal positions as a way of reminding my management that a year was
long enough to wait for the promotion they'd promised when I'd started
in the department.

I stopped Thad in the hall. "No," he laughed, "that's not so subtle."

When I returned to my cube, my manger came over and put on my desk a
piece of paper indicating that I had been granted the desired grade
increase. I got a promotion. Ten years. Ain't the fast track.

--
David
www.schons.net

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter