Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Emergency Response

Barista banter overheard: "I have two brothers, and their goal every
morning before school was to make me cry." (Offered with no further
comment.)

I am seeing my coffeeshop to gym ratio beginning to slip.

Last night, I left work a bit early for the diversion of biking home
while there was still light outside. I came up Fairview, and stopped
at Whole Foods (spending there a ridiculous amout on vitamins). After
leaving the store, as I crossed Summit, I could see up ahead some sort
of mess, which turned out to be a two-car accident. One car was all
the way up on the hill in the front yard of the apartment building in
the northeast corner of the intersection. Behind, at a similar angle,
half on the boulevard, half in the street, was a minivan, looking as
though it was following the other car. Both were headed for the
livingroom of Apartment 2. Also of note was the nearby Veit truck in
the middle of Faiview, stationed in the shared turning lane, as they
often are when working on the sewers. But in this case, it was very
close to being, maybe actually was in, the intersection.

I detoured over to Wheeler to get home. Walked with Madeline from the
house back over to the scene, expecting to see police car, ambulance,
tow truck. Instead, none of those, still just the two cars, and two
women, the drivers, in or by their vehicles, on their cellphones.
Quite separate. Thirty minutes, still no police. The Veit truck from
earlier--gone. I looked up the St. Paul Police non-emergency number,
called, and got the Ramsey County dipatcher, who said the police were
on their way. Ten minutes more passed, still no emergency response. I
re-dialed. The dispatcher answered and said she was going to put me on
hold! I kept talking. Couldn't believe that. Put me on hold. Just
then, the police car finally pulled up. I stuck around long enough to
make sure the sewer truck got into the report.

--
David
www.schons.net

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter